Monday, August 28, 2023

homo

 

This one is partly a "bikes" post, but mostly an "other business" post.

Twice recently, when I've been out on the bike in full lycra-and-spandex regalia, I've heard the shout, "HOMO!" from a passing car. It's clear that this was meant to be a put-down.

I'm not clear that it's going to have the intended effect. First of all, my homophobic father threatened to put me in a military school when he saw my interests and affectations as a teen. He never told me why he was threatening to pull me out of school; and it wasn't until decades later than I figured it out.

I can see the reason for his thinking that I would wind up a member of the LGBTQIA alphabet mafia. I was an introvert, more interested in reading inside than in doing anything else, especially more manly outdoor activities. He pushed me into Boy Scouts, in which I was an indifferent participant. And, as my mother loved the show tunes of the 50's and 60's when I was growing up, I know more about American musical theater of those decades than any straight male you know.

The traditional trappings of homosexuality were undoubtedly attractive to me: art, theater, music, and entertainments caught (and still catch) my attention far more than sports or any traditionally masculine pursuits. I used to joke that I tried out for homosexuality, but I just didn't make the cut; I wasn't cool enough. The truth is, I'm just not attracted to men. (I've had some try to engage my interest. In the earliest cases, I was too clueless to determine their intent. Later, when I figured out what was going on, I could let them know that I was just not interested... but I was flattered at the men I attracted: good-looking, interesting, and accomplished guys!)

So the shout of "HOMO!" may not have had the intended effect.

But I had a further thought recently as I ruminated on the experience: the men (of COURSE they were men) who shouted from their cars apparently thought that their catcall would make me rethink my choices of apparel and activity.

Wait a minute. You think I want to be more like you? I don't think so. If "homo" is what you call me, I will wear the appellation with pride. Even though it doesn't fit, it's better than whatever else you're offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment