Sunday, September 3, 2023

seems to fill a need ride

 So for close to 40 years, the Princeton Free Wheelers have had ride categories based on pace. A month ago, I had the idea to run a "no-pace" ride, so that people who have bikes they love, but which may not be comfortable for club ride paces, could bring those bikes out. (Some time ago, in my old blog, I wrote a post about riding the bike you love.)

Well, those bikes came out... but then it turned out that folks really like the no-pace concept, whether they had the fancy bikes or not. So I decided to do it again, except this time, you could bring your fancy bike, or your favorite jersey, or your goofiest socks. 

I got some fancy bikes: Jeff P's Look, with the Mektronic shifting:





... and AT's neat old Bianchi:





And Chris C's venerable 3x5 Cannondale, with friction/Index selectable downtube shifters, and a long-out-of-spec rear-wheel spacing:




And I got a couple of interesting jerseys: Mark H's "Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride":

... and The Excellent Wife's (TEW's) Susan B Anthony jersey:


...but there were also a number of folks for whom a 25-mile ride, at no particular pace, just sounded like a good idea.





So I think I'm gonna keep running these every so often. Yes, you can bring out your over- or under-geared bikes, or your fancy jerseys, or what-have-you. But feel free to come along, just because a no-pressure, no-pace, chatty ride sounds like a good idea.

(One rider says that the elevation reported is way off, but I don't measure it in any way other than what RideWithGPS reports on the ride page.)

No comments:

Post a Comment