Saturday, August 12, 2023

a longer ride with lots of climb

 

 

I'm pretty sure she's gonna complain about the way I say it when she sees this post, but it's clear that Laura OLPH has

HAD. IT.

with fast riders on her rides, pushing the pace and going off the front. So she emailed a few of us about her intention to post today's ride, and then only allowed for seven places, figuring she could add some if regulars were closed out.

Three regulars apparently were; we wound up with ten, for this 50-plus-miles-with-3500-feet-of-climb ride.




 

Out of Hillsborough and north, through Branchburg and Whitehouse Station. Polish John K had to get a selfie at this intersection (check the street signs) and I had to get a picture of John getting the selfie.

On a ride this long, I normally try to get some on-the-road pictures, but by the time I got my brains to it, we were on one of these ferocious climbs. My new GPS rates certain climbs, whether by length or difficulty, and there were eight of 'em on this ride, one of which was a wicked one before the stop in Califon.






(While we were at the stop, professional photographer Martin G got this of me cleaning the sweat and salt out of my headband. I call the procedure, "doin' laundry".)


You know when there was another wicked climb? Just as soon as we left the stop. Oh, SHEESH.

But then there was this long downhill to make up for it; you can see it on the elevation diagram on the ride page.




We plugged in a second stop on the way back. I, for one, was not complaining.



Laura was riding her newest bike, Janice. The Janice for whom the bike is named was the guitarist for Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem; here, she carries a pinwheel as her guitar, as the taillight provides her psychedelic lighting overhead.


I think it's suitable... although Laura tells me the other bikes are jealous of the attention with which Janice is getting showered these days.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to do the Major Taylors 66-mile Poscataway-to-New Hope-and-back ride. Why do I do this to myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment