Saturday, July 29, 2023

the early bird

 

I like that picture of Terry L.

Look, I know it's not everybody's cuppa tea to get up early to make a ride, but one, I'm an early riser anyway (even as a retiree, I'm usually up between four and five am), and b) it's been awful hot and sticky, so it makes sense to get out and back before the day heats up (and there is a threat of precipitation later). So when The Excellent Wife (TEW) pointed out to me that one of the club octogenarians, Spence H, had posted a ride starting at 7:30 for today, I was all about it and signed up.

Spence doesn't post his routes, and he's got a reputation that his rides can go longer than posted. I learned today that it's because he makes 'em up as he goes along. It's a good way to ensure that your fast riders don't get too far in front of you, although I still like to post the routes for my rides so that people know what they're signing up for.

Anyway, nine at the start. Please pardon the pic quality; I've already deleted the worst.





When asked where we were going, Spence said Allentown, and maybe we would stop at Stonebridge Bagels. So off we rolled.



We came upon an accident at 33, and waited for the emergency vehicles to pass before we went through.




The weather got more humid as we went on; I remember complaining how I was going to need a shower even though it had been so rainy earlier in the month. 







As for riders off the front? Yeah, a lot of the time, that was me. Despite the heat and stickiness, I had a pretty good day. Go check the ride page.

At the stop:


Bike pics: Jeff L's lovely Serotta:

... and Rickety's purple Cinelli:

...and Herb's bike, mostly because that saddle is unique. Herb likes it. I tried a similar one, and no, thank you.


 And back. Spence asked me which way I wanted to go back. Wait, really? I'm always lost... except I wasn't between Etra and Cranbury; I know two ways to go, and I have a preference for the one by Maxwell, up Main in East Windsor, and over Old Cranbury Road to avoid the deadly circle at 130. And that's the way I led back.

At the end, Rickety wanted a picture with Spence. I got a few, and I think this is the best of the lot:


And for the rest of this hot spell, I'm gonna be looking for early starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment