Saturday, July 1, 2023

haven't a clue why it went this well

 

I've half a mind to say I have no idea how this happened... but in reality, I've got a pretty good idea.

Tom H had emailed around, once the originally-dismal weather forecast for today had shown some sign of improving, asking if any of his Insane Bike Posse would be up for a fairly flat ride today, and he got enough positive response to post something. I signed up.

Now, I signed up with the idea that I might have to cancel, because most of yesterday was taken up with the wedding of our nephew to a woman of whom we definitely approve. ALL of my in-laws who were above ground were apparently invited, and most of them attended... and that was only our side of the wedding. And it was one of those weddings where they answer to the question, "And would you also like this option, that we can provide for you?", was apparently always yes. They had ALL the favors, and ALL the party stuff, and ALL the cute things for the bridal party, and ALL the food, including ALL the specialty stations, AND the martini bar in addition to the open bar, and ALL the entertainment for the guests...

Oh, yes. The entertainment for the guests... at a volume that could have brought down the walls of Jericho. The music was so loud (and subsequently, so indistinct) that I didn't recognize most of the songs (and, as the bride is an aficionada of music of the 1980's, it was music I should have recognized). I found it exhausting, and was gratified to learn that some of the relatives three and four decades younger were also uncomfortable. 

So when I got home at something-after-midnight, rattled and deafened, I went to sleep as best I could, and got up today in time to get to the ride start... but I had low hopes for this ride.







 Well, anyway, off we went at a pretty good clip, for us. And we maintained that pace.

We stopped at the boat launch at the Manasquan Reservoir.

And we took our break in Farmingdale, mostly because there was a place we could get some carbs to eat.



I felt pretty bad after the little sleep after the wedding... but I came in with an average of 15.8, far above what I've been riding recently. 

I couldn't believe it... but I'll bet it was all the carbs and sweets and stuff I generally stay away from, that I had indulged in at the wedding. 

I may need to experiment more with this alternate-nutrition stuff. Does anybody want to fund a study? (And can we leave out the painfully-loud-music part?)

No comments:

Post a Comment