Tuesday, April 11, 2023

hospice volunteer novitiate

 I've been having mental health issues recently (there will be more on that next month, as I'll want to make a post about it during mental health month), and, as I seek to manage the problems, it came to me that part of them arose out of a misplaced search for novelty and intensity.

I'm not likely to be able to just ignore my desire for intensity, so The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I spoke about it, and she reminded me that while I was working, I'd made mention of wanting to volunteer at a hospice. After less than a moment's thought, I decided that hospice volunteering was a great idea (how come she remembered, and I didn't?). So: web search time. Is there one that's convenient? Are they taking volunteers? Do I qualify?

Well, yes, the Stein Hospice in Somerset is nearby, and yes, they're actively recruiting volunteers. It's like a mini-job-application, though; they want background, relevant experience, and references! So I contact a few of the Hill Slugs (who regularly ride with Laura OLPH) and the Insane Bike Posse (who regularly ride with Tom H) (they're the same folks) and ask for a few who will be references, and fill out the application.

The hospice folks are interested. Less than two hours later, I'm responding to an email from the volunteer director; that same day I'm doing a phone interview that goes for about an hour (I got my last job with less fanfare than this!). And the next thing, I've started the onboarding process.

I've got an official login at the center, and I'm completing a series of new-staff trainings. Apparently, there are trainings for everyone associated with the entire care center (the campus provides a number of elder-care services), trainings for everyone associated with the hospice part, and trainings specific to volunteers. They're all done online (I had similar modules as part of working at Rutgers/UMDNJ before I retired). I figure I've done six or seven hours worth, and have four or five hours of training left to go.

I'm sure the trainings are important (or, at least, I'm sure it's important that the facility proves to its overseeing bodies that staff and volunteers have completed them), but I suspect there's also a consideration that, if you can't get through the training part, how do we know you're motivated enough to show up and volunteer? When entering convents and monasteries was something people actually did, the novitiate programs were intentionally difficult, partly to drive away the minimally-motivated (in years with few other opportunities, it was not unheard of for people seeking refuge from law enforcement authorities to enter religious life to avoid prosecution, especially when observation of "cruel and unusual punishment" was part of the entertainment for the wealthy and powerful). So I'm in my novitiate as a hospice volunteer.

I may have some reporting on that in this blog. Confidentiality requirements will limit what I can write, as, I suspect, will compassion and discretion.

I'm looking forward, though, to being a part of easing the last days for the people I hope to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment