Sunday, June 11, 2023

gettin' dragged to that italian bakery


I didn't expect to be available to lead a ride today, so friend Eric H agreed to lead in my absence, and given his feelings for that Italian Bakery in Raritan, and the availability of a better route, it wasn't any surprise that he chose that for the stop. Nor was it any surprise that twelve of us signed up. It was a little surprising that two of 'em didn't actually show up at the start, but we got word that one of 'em got his wires crossed. So there's that.




Eric did an original version of the new route, a bit longer than the one I did last week. This route goes for a bit on Amwell Road, and I have a dispute with the goddess of Amwell Road, so I was properly awestruck and fearful, and she spared me for today. 

Along the way, a solo rider caught up with us and asked about riding with the group. We were properly polite, and we hope Mohit will actually decide to join. He stayed with us until the stop, and then begged off, citing family responsibilities.

We were a spirited group today, and pretty much ignored the advertised C+ pace (13.0-14.9mph) for the first half of the ride. My average was 15.9 at the stop, and I was in the back, sweeping; I suspect some of the folks out front had faster averages than that.

It was Eric's birthday, and there was the appropriate song and celebration at the stop.





And there were a few classic car owners, showing off their goodies.




We were a spirited group on the way back, as well. Eventually, Eric and I decided to let the pace-pushers go, and rode at our own pace to the start; some of the riders had already departed by the time we got in (it did reduce the import of some of the complaints about pace-pushers I see, when I note who was in the faster group). I wound up with an average of 15.4, but since Eric and I were last, and nobody appeared to be suffering, it seems to have been OK.

You can check it out on the ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment