Monday, May 15, 2023

cross check craziness


 About three-and-a-half years ago, one of the brake mounts broke on the fork of the Krakow Monster, my monstercross bike built on a Surly Cross-Check frame (you can see the entry at the bottom of this post on the other blog). I bought a new fork, and installed everything.

Today, another brake mount broke on the new fork. On the near side of the fork in the picture above, there should be about another 3/4" of extension on that nub in the picture. It doesn't show in the picture, but the broken piece is inside the brake arm I'm holding to the left.

I doubt I'm going to buy another Cross-Check fork. I might buy a fork with a mount for a disk brake, but that will require rebuilding the wheel with a disk-brake hub (I'd use a hybrid cable-fluid brake, like the Juin Tech one if I did that). Or I might go a different direction entirely: get a new frame, build it up with the parts I have...

No big loss. I only put about 30 miles on that bike last year.

1 comment:

  1. At 30 miles per year you should at least get 4 years out of a brake mount. :)

    ReplyDelete