Look, I know they're not for everybody... but I love the big, organized rides. I love seeing all the riders come out, I love seeing the variety of bikes*, I love overhearing the talk among the groups of riders who know on another (and trying to fill in the blanks about the inside jokes and unknown references they share), I love seeing the helpful volunteers. I love the booths from the bike shops and the other supporters (some are pretty unhinged; dd anybody stop at the investment team that had a booth? They seemed bored and ignored).
*Many of the bikes are very high-end, expensive bikes, with all the latest-and-greatest doodads on 'em. But there were some entry-level and midrange bikes (not everybody who comes out for this is strong, fit, and wealthy), and a few like mine: idiosyncratic bikes that suit the eccentricities of the riders.
The Excellent Wife (TEW) had friends who were talking about doing rides associated with the Spellbound Century this year (it turned out they did not). She asked if I'd go, and I agreed; I planned to do the 47-mile ride, and she was to do the 25-mile ride.
Now, the day before, one of the garage-door openers quit. I'm an old, retired guy, so I had time... and I got another opener, and spent hours trying to get it mounted and working. It meant hours of up the ladder and down the ladder and up the ladder and down the ladder and up the ladder and down the ladder (partly because there was no conventional instruction manual; instead, there was a phone app with instructions that I found ambiguous and confusing). I woke on the day of the ride with tired legs.
Still, off we went.
Above, TEW, lookin' good!
Different paces start at different times, and it's worthwhile waiting, because the local police manage the traffic for the riders until we're out of the busiest traffic in town (I'm sure drivers don't like it, but the ride supports local causes, and the police support is welcome).I left with the riders for my distance, and went off at a pretty good clip. Despite the tired legs, I was riding well...
...until about mile fifteen, when I heard the PSHshshshsh of the air escaping my rear tire. I checked the tire, couldn't find the problem, changed the tube... and had it happen again about twenty feet later. I checked again; still couldn't find the problem in the tire. I changed the tube again (I always carry two tubes), turned a corner about 200 feet from the rest stop, and the tire went out again.
Well, between the tire problems and the tired legs, I was done; I called a sag for a ride back to the start. I had a number of offers of tubes, but I was done.
I texted TEW, and we met after her ride.
The tire problem I'd missed turned out to be a cut sidewall; if I'd seen it, I could have put a tire boot over it... but I didn't wee it until the next day.
But other than the tire and having sore legs, I liked this ride, and would do it again. It's blessedly flat, the support is great (pickle juice at the stops!), and we had a great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment