Monday, September 9, 2024

another no-pace ride

 








Although the club has pace categories for all kinds of rides, there aren't a lot of rides offered that might appeal to occasional riders, or people who aren't at least a little athletic. On the one side, that makes sense: leaders like to ride with their friends, at a pace they find comfortable, and perhaps a little demanding. On the other side, it means that we're unlikely to attract beginners into the club because they're not ready to ride at the paces listed, and members who aren't ready to keep up with those paces (and there are some; I've met them) don't ride on club rides.

Years ago, I started listing rides on Sundays. My thought was that riders would do the demanding ride in Saturday, and use my slower Sunday ride as a recovery ride.

A couple of things happened. First, riders who usually rode a slower-category ride started to come out for my rides, because I advertised that the pace would be within the listed range, but lower - so, for them, it wasn't a recovery ride; it was more like a tryout. Second, faster riders came out, and the pace of my ride (as well as the paces of many other listed rides) started to creep up, sometimes into faster pace levels than listed.

As that was starting, I had conversations with a number of cyclists who had older bikes they loved, but didn't ride, because they weren't geared for the paces at which the riders now rode; or because they were sized for a younger version of themselves; or because the rider had bought a lighter bike, or one equipped with newer components, or whatever. I had the idea of a no-pace ride: bring out that lovely old bike, and we'll do a shorter ride at no pace (so you won't have to worry about keeping up), and show us what you got.

Well, I got those... but I also got people who came out because they had others with whom they wanted to ride, but the two rode at different paces, and this ride gave 'em "permission" to ride together. And I also got people who wanted to come out on a group ride, but were worried about the pace... and now they knew they wouldn't get dropped off the back.

I led these for a while, and forgot about 'em, and led one or two and forgot 'em again. But I've done a few this year, and while they're certainly not everybody's cup of tea, I have a few regulars who really like these rides... and I always wind up getting one or two who are just trying out group rides, whether members, or people who are considering membership. I've made a policy that nobody rides alone in the back on my rides; if you're off the back, I go with you. (If you're alone off the front, you're on your own. If you're alone in the middle, drop back and keep us company.)

I led them on the last Sunday of the month, but yesterday I decided to do another one (even though it was the second Sunday in the five-Sunday month) because one of my particular friends missed the last one. I wound up with fifteen, including a non-member who was checking us out.

Of COURSE, I forgot to get pictures except at the start. They're all at the top of the post.

The people I usually ride with don't all come out on these rides, and that's fine; I see them reasonably often, and this isn't what they like to do. But I kinda decided it's what I like to do. So I may do 'em regularly more than just once a month. (Of course, I'm saying that as the weather is cooling, and as the season is ending for people who don't ride when it's cold.)

I'm still going to do some of my Sunday rides out of Franklin (those are at what the club calls a C+ pace, although many of my riders go faster... we just let 'em go). Those rides also have a following, partly because of the start location.

But I'm planning on more no-pace rides. They may not interest you; that's fine. But I think they serve a purpose, and I like doing 'em.

You can see the route I like to use on the ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment