Saturday, June 29, 2024

a break in the heat


 During the week I went out on one of the hot days. I figured by 10am, the rush-hour traffic would have passed, and it had, but the heat was more than I could stand, and while I intended about 33 miles, by 18 I knew that the better part of valor was to pack it in... but I was well over 20 before I could plot a way home, and I wound up with an exhausted 27 miles for the day.

But it was much better for a ride today. Club president Mike V had called for an early start for 33-ish miles and 1300' of climb (as usual, RideWithGPS underreported the climb; the ride page shows over 1600'), and that sounded just the ticket. 

Mike and his wife Debbie came, as did Luis C, Jeff L, and Another Jim.




It was a grey day, but that meant that the sun didn't get too hot (for which I was grateful). And although the ride was listed in a range of 13-14.9mph, our average of 15.2 didn't seem to strain anybody's abilities. 

I found the climb was just enough to be challenging without eliciting despair (perhaps I'm getting lazy, but I've found that hilly rides don't appeal as much as perhaps they once did... but I'm gonna be 70 at my next birthday, so maybe that's my excuse). I had a lot of fun on the route, and found the pace such that conversation and enjoying the scenery were possible.



We stopped at Boro Bean, and found another group of cyclists there. I had fund complaining at the younger folks in that group, and they apparently played along nicely.

 


At Boro Bean:



Tomorrow, I'm re-instituting my no-pace rides: anybody can come out at any pace, and I'll ride with the slowspokes. I'm looking forward to it. (Apparently, a number of others are, too, the ride is full!)

No comments:

Post a Comment