Sunday, February 4, 2024

i still remember how

 




Those are about the only pictures that came out. The CCD in my camera appears to like the cold weather even less than you do.

How is it that we're already into February, and this is the first time I've led a ride with the club? I'll tell you: between weather and real life, I just haven't had any days free. Rain and flooded roads, family responsibilities, and new real estate realities have conspired to claim my Sundays so I've been unable to do my usual ride leads.

Apparently, though, there were people agreeable to come out, even on such a cold day. I limited the ride to fifteen, and then forgot to register a non-member I'd agreed to come along, so I had to raise it to sixteen... and then a rider who also has real-life conflicts contacted me and said she had a few hours for a ride this morning, as she almost never did, and could she come along? And I simply could not refuse, so I had seventeen on my limited-to-fifteen ride. 

Luckily, Joe E took the faster folks (including Ralph, apparently recovering from a terrible crash in the fall; he's not completely satisfied with his progress, but he's doing very well nonetheless). We started out together, but sweep Dave H and I made sure nobody was falling off the back, and we let the faster folks disappear over the horizon. My rule is if you're not there when we get to the turn, I'm  not worryin' about you (and I don't have to with these riders, truth to tell; I'm grateful to Joe for taking them).

One rider informed me up front that he was recovering from a respiratory problem, so I was a bit of a mother hen watching to make sure he was keeping up. He did fine; rode within the advertised pace, and kept up with the group. 

I prolly worry too much.

Canal Road is still closed between my ride start and the Blackwells Mills Causeway, so I've adjusted a few of my routes so they go out-and-back over the Griggstown Causeway (luckily, not flooded these days, after having spent enough of January underwater). You'll see on the ride page.

And apparently, I haven't completely forgotten how to lead a club ride.

(Wait... did he say something up there about "real estate realities"? Does that need elaboration?) It probably does. The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I are in contract for a home in Monroe. Now, I start my rides at Clarement School because it's close to my home and I can ride the bike to the start, and now because I know the roads around there. We'll be moving by spring, I suppose, and I have a decision to make: to start rides near the new house, or to continue to start rides at the Claremont School in Franklin Township. For some riders, this is a convenient start (for some, it's clearly not!). I suspect I'll come to a "sometimes this, sometimes that" decision, once I learn the roads around the new (to us) house.

Given the fact that I'm always lost when I have two wheels under me, I expect Ill have learned the roads well enough to lead rides near the new house by November of 2031.

No comments:

Post a Comment