Tuesday, December 19, 2023

christmas songs in a minor key

 Now that Christmas is less than a week away, I feel comfortable sharing this one. I have a number of personal holiday traditions, including three involving the Dickens A Christmas Carol: I read it each year in text, and I read it aloud among the other readers at the Princeton Library/McCarter Theater Christmas Carol Read-Aloud, and I watch at least one movie (this year it was the Jim Carrey 3D one; while it has the advantage to me of general fidelity to the Dickens text [I can quote along with it], the horse-drawn hearse chase at the end is entirely unnecessary).

But that's not what this post is for. Nor are the other personal holiday traditions that I don't tell youse about.

The one I am telling about is about Dodie's Christmas Songs in a Minor Key. Dodie is a singer-songwriter with a delightful hippie-esque look. Much of her music I can take or leave, but she's taken to making a video at this time of year, of... well, Christmas songs in minor keys. Or interesting time signatures, or some other neat adjustment.

There are about half-a-dozen of these; I'll link to two:



I love them. If you love them, too, you're welcome. If you don't, don't tell me, please. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment