Tuesday, October 10, 2023

forbidden love

 The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I were up in Boston for a few days (we just got back). Oe of the things we did was see a John Singer Sargent show at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

The show was ostensibly about Sargent's handling of fashion, but for me, the best part was another chance to go see Ena Westheimer, below in white:


I like a gal with a sense of fun and humor; here she is, playing a swashbuckling hero with a broom for a sword; the title, A Vele Gonfie, translates to "in full sail".


I first saw her at a show at the Tate Britain. I'm smitten. If things ever don't work out between TEW and me, I'm totally going to start a torrid affair with Ms Wertheimer... except she died thirty years before I was born, and was way out of my league, anyway.

Sometime, I'll wax all pedantic about how Sargent was a damn impressionist, no matter what the critics and historians say... but for today, I'm just going to sigh and languish for lost love.

No comments:

Post a Comment