Sunday, March 3, 2024

change of plans

 Between going back to work, and the various hassles of selling one home and buying another, and some requests for bike work, it was Thursday night before I managed to post a ride for Sunday morning. I planned to start at the Claremont School in Franklin, and go to that nifty Italian Bakery in Raritan, over a route that crosses both the Blackwells Mills and Griggstown Causeways.

But The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I went out to Philadelphia yesterday, to go to Czerw's, and then to the Reading Terminal Market, and then to the Philadelphia Museum of Art for a no-special-show-but-let's-go-anyway visit... and it rained the whole day, and then some. I knew the Griggstown Causeway would be flooded today, and I suspected the other might, as well.

So when we got home, I sent out an email to all of the ride registrants, and changed the listing. Instead of starting at the Claremont School, we'd start at Veteran's Park in Montgomery, although the route would still go by the Raritan Italian Bakery.

I had one cancellation... and no other news. And nobody was in the lot, when I arrived, 30 minutes prior to the ride start. Then, one by one, cars and bikes came in... until all fifteen of my registrants appeared for the ride.

It was windy to start, but a great day, with less traffic than I often have on these roads. And the weather was warm: where last week, the temps didn't get above about 35°F, we had about 45°F at the start, and about 64°F at the end. Many riders were complaining about being overdressed (including very truly yours, Plain Jim), and more than one stripped off layers, or rolled up leggings, or what have you.

At the stop:








So with moving, Claremont school wont be as convenient for me as riding a few minutes from my garage. I'll be much closer to Village Park in Cranbury, and even to Etra Park. But I still plan to lead some rides from this area... and maybe I need to plot some more routes from Veterans Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment